This great whale watching tour starts from the floating pier at Hof Cultural Centre, right in the center of down town Akureyri. There we will equip you with arctic weather gear to keep you warm on the ocean, including a special suit, gloves and goggles. Before we gear up our immensely powerful boats and cruise out the longest fjord in Iceland, we review the safety rules, how to ride comfortably in the boat and how we interact with and respect the whales and our surroundings.
• Only 12 passengers per boat with private wildlife guide and specially trained RIB boat captain.
• Visit and get closer to the majestic and playful Eyjafjord humpbacks.
• See and experience the longest fjord in Iceland, fenced in by glacier carved mountains just below the arctic circle.
• Starts from downtown Akureyri, right next to the Hof Culture Centre.
The incredible Whale Safari Whale Guarantee: If you don´t see whales on your RIB tour (very unlikely) you can go again for free, this time around trying the bigger boats. And get this, you can choose where you go again, in Reykjavík or in Akureyri.
Location of starting point: Whale Safari ticket office right next to the Hof Cultural Centre in downtown Akureyri. You can’t miss it.
Duration of trip: 2 hours.
Departure times and dates:
- From the 15th of May to the 14th of June and 1st of September to the 15th of September two departures a day at 10:00 and 14:00.
- From the 15th of June to the 31st of August four departures a day at 10:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00.
Availability: Check the calendar and online booking window above. We recommend booking this tour in advance, as it sells our frequently.
Minimum: No minimum number of participants for 10:00 and 14:00 departures. Minimum 2 person for 12:00 and 16:00 departures.
Age limit: 10 Years or 140 cm height.
Bring with you: Dress warmly for our northern ocean, so if you have it, bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater, some warm headgear and gloves. Sturdy shoes are recommended.**
- This tour may not be suitable for pregnant women. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those with history of back problems or back injury. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those over the age of 65 years.
Cancellations due to weather: We sometimes need to cancel the whale watching part of this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. In such an event we will offer you two choices: Go on the Akureyri Whale Watching tours which is on a much bigger boat that can sail in stronger winds. and get a partial refund. Or the more boring choice…a full refund.
What is Ísafold Travel’s cancellation policy?
All cancellations must be made by e-mail or letter. In conformity with business practices within the Icelandic travel industry, the travel agent is obliged to charge cancellation fees to passenger(s) as follows, in addition to the non-refundable deposit:
More than 6 weeks prior to arrival: No additional charge
Less than 6 weeks and more than 2 weeks: 15%
Less than 2 weeks and more than 72 hours: 50%
Less than 72 hours and more than 24 hours: 75%
Less than 24 hours notice, and no-shows: 100%
We recommend that all passengers take out comprehensive travel insurance.
Does Ísafold Travel handle domestic/international flights?
Ísafold Travel does not handle or book international flights from and to Iceland for our clients. However, flights between Iceland and Greenland and domestic flights in Iceland can be arranged by us.
What is a self-drive/self-guided tour?
A self-drive or self-guided tour is a packaged tour that allows you to travel at your own pace – by yourself or in a group. We arrange everything from the vehicle to accommodation so you don’t have to worry about anything. You can just go and enjoy your own private road trip through Iceland.
Do kids get a discount on some of the activities?
Yes, depending on their age they might be eligible for a discount on some of the activities. Please write their ages in the comments while booking and the discount they are eligible for while be deducted from the remaining balance.
Is it possible to customise my tour after booking?
Yes! It’s absolutely possible to further customise your tour after booking through our website. We only require a 20% deposit to be paid up front before we start customising your tour.
Am I required to pay the full amount upon booking?
No. It’s possible to pay only a 20% deposit upon booking. The remaining amount will be required no later than 30 days before your tour starts.
Can’t find an answer to your question?
Prices & Availability
Please note that the tour is organised by Special Tours.
- Expertly guided whale and sightseeing tour on a 12 seat RIB boat
- Warm suit that you will wear over your own clothes that keeps you “dry” and toasty
- We also supply special gloves and goggles (you can wear your glasses underneath)
What’s not included?
- Any services not listed under what is included in this tour